LRRM Web Header

Caboose

CabooseOur caboose was built in August, 1949 by the Wheeling & Lake Erie Ironville, Ohio shops as class C-8 and originally numbered 0231. This class of caboose was the last built by the W&LE before it was merged into the New York, Chicago & St. Louis, or "Nickel Plate Road".

The design is of a typical "northeastern" style caboose based on those of the New York, New Haven & Hartford built by the Pullman Standard Company. The main differences would be the size and placement of the windows and a flat sheet steel roof instead of the more typical stamped steel.

With the lease of the W&LE by the Nickel Plate, the caboose was renumbered 731. After the merger with the Norfolk & Western, the caboose was painted their standard blue with white lettering and renumbered to 557731 at the Brewster shops.

The caboose was acquired by LRRM in August 2010. Current plans are to restore the caboose to its 1949 as-built appearance.